Stewart Title offers a range of title insurance policies for existing owners that already own a residential, strata or commercial property, but have not previously purchased a title insurance policy.
We offer the following Residential and Commercial products for existing owners:
Stewart Title’s Existing Owner Policies provide much of the same protection to existing owners as the Residential and Commercial Purchaser Policies provide to purchasers of residential and commercial property. Our existing owner policies are also available for a one-time premium.
Existing Owners are covered for a broad range of risks, including:
Unapproved Building Work
Enforcement action by a Local Authority in relation to non-approved structures which have been built by any previous owner of the property without the required Council permits or which do not comply with those permits (for rural properties this cover is limited to the main residence, including sheds, carports, garages used for residential purposes and any swimming pool). This coverage is capped at $160,000.
Boundary & Survey
Forced removal or relocation of a structure because it encroaches over an easement or on to the neighbour’s property and any adverse matter affecting Title that would have been revealed in an up-to-date survey report. Please note that boundary and survey coverage will not apply to land where the land area size exceeds 50 acres.
Planning & Title Defects
Loss due to non-compliance with existing zoning and planning laws, unregistered easements and covenants, access orders, access rights or a right of way, lack of legal access, and defects in title to the land.
If you sell the land your buyer may become entitled to refuse to complete the contract as a result of a risk covered under the policy.
Like all insurance policies, the Stewart Title policy excludes certain risks from cover. Some of these standard exclusions include:
- Risks which cause no loss or damage
- Risks which the insured creates, allows or agrees to
- Risks which are known to the insured, but not to Stewart Title
- Risks that arise because the insured did not pay full value for the land
- Risks arising from business or commercial activities, including, but not limited to, any loss of rental income or loss of business revenue
- Risks or loss arising from environmental contamination or environmental protection
- Risks which occur or come into existence after the Policy Date (except where specifically included in the policy)
- Native title
- Losses arising from mine subsidence
- Losses relating to the infestation or dilapidation of structures, or matters disclosed in a building inspection report or home inspection report obtained by the insured prior to the Policy Date
- Losses relating to the condition and repair of any structures
- Claims for which there is protection under home and building insurance or builders warranty insurance
Contact us for more information.
Please note that the information on title insurance provided is solely for general information purposes only and does not relate to your personal circumstances. It is not intended to be a complete description of all the terms, conditions and exclusions applicable to the title insurance product. Please refer to your issued policy for full details, including the specific terms and conditions, exclusions and other limits on coverage. Sample policies are available here or upon request.